Friday, January 25, 2008

WSJ Mentions Virtual Offices - Software as a Service to Replace Software

Software as a Service (SaaS) is starting to replace software that you install on your PC. It's simpler to use and more cost effective for the user because they do not individually have to worry about keeping up to date on security or backing up their data. The company that provides the SaaS does this for the user.

Marc Benioff, CEO of Salesforce.com, Inc., a company that makes online services that aid salespeople in keeping track ot their customers, told WSJ reporters in the Business Technology section of Tuesday's paper that "I think the big news is that there will be no office. The office is becoming more virtual every day, and the technology that's making that happen is the huge wave of mobility...."

Software as a Service is what my virtual practice runs on. Virtual Law Office Technology is SaaS. I don't have to be a computer whiz or keep current on every security patch that is needed for software on my PC. Instead I can spend that time building my practice. I was thrilled to read this article in the WSJ about the "future built on platforms." Lexis and Westlaw, take note.

Consider the time and money an attorney could save using SaaS to run a virtual practice rather than having to keep up on security updates, hardware for backups and storage of critical data.

No comments: